Friday, March 16, 2007

Rose Hill Drive - Live 3.8.07 - Washington DC

When I went to see The Who last week, I had no clue about the opening band. I got to the venue at 7:30, and shortly thereafter, the lights went down. Three young-looking lads with hair almost down to their waists come out and launch right into some good ole-fashioned style, loud rock ‘n’ roll. They get instant brownie points from me – I have a thing for power trios (and longhairs). Their sound is definitely borrowed heavily from Black Sabbath, the Rolling Stones – also reminds me a little bit of Wolfmother. Their lyrics aren’t particularly memorable, but their stage presence and sound are. No frills, nothing too fancy – just straight up RAWK !

My only complaint was I did not know who they were. The frontman mumbled their name 2 or 3 times, but never clearly enough for me to make out what he said. The people in the crowd around me were all wondering as well. It’s a shame they didn’t have some sort of banner posted or something. I bet a lot of these people won’t take the time to find out who they are. Lucky for them, I am uncompromising when it comes to these matters, and I wouldn’t stop the Google searches until I uncovered that they were Rose Hill Drive from Boulder, Colorado. The band consists of two brothers, Daniel and Jake Sproul in the front, with friend Nate Barnes on drums. Here’s the kicker – not one band member exceeds the age of 23. And they’re already opening for the freaking Who! That must be quite a head trip for them. I expect good things to come from these guys. I’m really looking forward to seeing them grow, and I highly recommend them. Check out this little promo video -


For more –
Rose Hill Drive on Myspace
Rose Hill Drive Website

No comments: