Sunday, July 15, 2007

Keller Williams - Live 7.14.07 - Charlottesville, VA

Keller Williams w/ Bob Weir & Ratdog
Charlottesville Pavilion – Charlottesville, VA
July 14, 2007, 6:00 PM

Saturday shows are by far my favorites. When work’s not looming on the horizon, I can finally breathe easy and let my freak flag fly! Ahhh…the blissful concert afterglow. For my money, there’s no better way to undo life’s stresses.

So, I got to Charlottesville early to meet up with Amanda for some grub. After we ate, we wandered towards the venue, and as if the delicious food wasn’t enough to set the day off right, I’ll be damned if we didn’t get to hear Keller’s Soundcheck!!! First off was a pretty killer rendition of Dave Mathew’s “Jimi Thing”. A sizeable crowd started to form, and Keller seemed to become aware of the audience. He made a slight chord shift, and sang in one of his silliest of voices, ♪I would swallow my pride, I would choke on the rinds…♪ Haha. Eve 6’s “Inside Out”. “Play This” and a couple other warm-up jams followed, then some fine piano work on “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down”. Just when I thought the soundcheck was over, Bob Weir came out and the two played “Brown-Eyed Women”, a favorite of mine from the Grateful Dead collection ♪Brown-eyed women and red grenadine, the bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean♪ Yup, Robert Hunter wrote some great party lyrics. After soundcheck, we still had plenty of time to kill before the show, so we went and had seriously the BEST gelato I have ever had in my life. I wish I had an endless supply of that stuff.

EDIT: I still can't stop thinking about that gelato from Splendora's. Mmm. I highly recommend the place.

Fast forward to 6 pm. We have our spot staked out on the lawn, the weather is fantastic, $5 beers in hand. This was my 5th time seeing Keller, and he’s still at the top of his game. I am more in love every time. The setlist had some Keller classics, “Fuel for the Road”, “People Watchin’”, “Bob Rules”, “Love Handles”; as well as some fun cover songs, “Mama Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys”, “Wanted Dead or Alive”, “Rapper’s Delight”, and the “Night They Drove Old Dixie Down” that we’d heard him rehearse earlier. Bob came out again to close out Keller’s set, and I got to hear “Brown-Eyed Women” again. Score!

No comments: