Tuesday, July 31, 2007

North Mississippi Allstars - Live 7.28.07 - FloydFest 6

I can’t even begin to describe how fantastic the guys were on Saturday night. Then again, it’s impossible for me to be objective at this point. Trust me despite my bias – you absolutely, positively MUST go see the Allstars if you get the opportunity. Straight up blues, boogie, funk, rock, country – you name it, these fellas can lay it down. Kurt Clayton has started sitting in on keys for some shows, and I had the pleasure of seeing him for the first time at FloydFest. The element he adds is incredible, never distracting, like he was meant to play with ‘em. I also got to see Chris break in his new Lakland and it was mmm mmm good. The MC pulled me aside and told me Big Chew was the best bassist he’d ever seen in his life, and he certainly got no arguments from me ;o) The brothers Dickinson were on fire as usual. Luther is not wasting any time ascending the ranks to guitar god status, and Cody is just plain killer on the drums. They were only scheduled to play til 12:15, and it was about 12:45 when they started the encore. The crowd was going nuts – I’d be curious to know how many people came to FloydFest to see the NMAs, cause they were packed in like sardines as far as the eye could see. During the “All Night Long” encore, a young man, he couldn’t have been older than 13 or 14, came out and just SHREDDED it. I was floored when I looked up and realized it was a kid. Apparently, he is/was a student at Dave Matthews’ guitar school, but skills like that can not be taught, he played like an old pro. I was jealous of his cool factor – this kid is going places. Eventually I’ll get back to you with his name….

EDIT: The "young shredder" referenced above is Willie DE - he was at the festival performing with his band, The Wave.

Anyway, if I didn’t say it enough by now, the show was amazing. I’m still quite exhausted, though. We got lost for about an hour and a half leaving the festival grounds, I was in a rental car because the Kia was broken, and I’ve spent about 15 hours on the road in the past two days. But was it worth it? Hell yeah!


PS: I wasn’t kidding when I said go see these guys (click here for tour dates ) – they’ve got gigs lined up all over the country through the rest of the year – a few supporting the Allman Brothers and the Black Crowes, and then a 6 week tour with Mavis Staples, Charlie Musselwhite, and Joe Krown. I know The Grammys are a sham these days, but still, they didn’t get nominated for three for nothing.

PS: Total praise & gratitude towards the special gentleman who made this night amazing :O)

No comments: