Tuesday, January 27, 2009

2008 In Music: My Morning Jacket

This album surprised the shit out of me. For awhile, I literally could not stop listening to it.


It all started when I heard "Evil Urges" on the radio - then promptly downloaded the album. The falsetto and the breakdown in the title track is what hooked me. Both parts of "Touch Me I'm Going to Scream" and all their psychedelic, trance-like terrain are what sealed the deal - especially Part 2, which reminds me of Pink Floyd at times.

Then there is that "Highly Suspicious" one. At first I didn't know what to think. The vocals evoke Prince, but the peanut butter reference makes me giggle and not take the song seriously....until the guitars grab me. That one has really grown on me. When I heard James say "interweb" in "Librarian," I was sufficiently intrigued and I was enraptured by the epic instrumentation. Another creeper is "Thank You Too."

Although Evil Urges has a couple moments that leave me just shrugging, my overall impression is that they hit this one out of the park. It's incredibly listenable and it holds up to repeats. And more than ever before, I am saddened that I have still not caught one of their concerts.

No comments: